Thursday, October 28, 2010

You Gonna Query? I Gotta Query! Did you Query yet? Who did you Query?

  These phrases rattle in my skull sometimes before one of the other voices steps in (I call it the “controller”) and tells it to shut up and sit down.  I am not exactly sure why I go through this process sometimes because I am still on the fence with representation.  Don’t get me wrong, I want my books plastered in the windows at every book store around the world but I am also fearful of letting go and handing over control.  You know the one voice that says “My Precious! They takes it from me!”

   In my constant study of what I call “The Crazy”, the big houses will only speak to and deal with an agent.  And not any agent mined you.  So how do I know the agent I am sending my query to has the ability to send to the big house?  I wish there was an easy answer to this all vital question but there is not.  I guess if it was not a secret each of us would be querying the same people.  I do use one site though with great confidence knowing their information is stellar and reliable (again I own no stock nor am I affiliated with them) – P&E: Literary Agents (Preditors & Editors) pred-ed dot com.

  They list the agents alphabetically with indications on their validity and if they have signed a contract for money.  Google it and you shall find them.  Also another site I have been using for good Agent info is Absolutewrite dot com.  Click to their forums and search for Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check.  This, too, has great listings and valid info. It will help in your search for the Agent right for you.

  Oh and I also use Twitter actually.  NO, I DO NOT SEND A QUERY TO AN AGENT VIA TWITTER!  DON”T DO IT!  EVER!  I love following other authors and often not, their agent follows them.  If this person is in the same genre as I write in their Agent, obviously, represents and carries an understanding of the Fantasy writing world.  I realize I have chosen a tight path and a hard sell so my writing better be good!  One of these days I will create another subsection on this blog and start entering all of my sites I have collected through these many years.  It would be long (that’s what she said).<==Had to be said!

0 comments:

Post a Comment