Thursday, October 7, 2010

Always improving the flow!

I am always reworking or "rewriting" my stories. I use double quotes around the word rewriting because it is not necessarily rewriting but improving grammar, punctuation, sentence structure and he said, she said structure. Really overall, I am improving the flow so the reader does not get interrupted by the sentence. Yes you can easily be interrupted by the sentence. My biggest pet peeve when reading a book is to be interrupted by the writer because they went, too far, with the he said “followers”. What are the he said “followers”?

            “You’re a bad boy Johnny,” he said with an indignant smile and chagrined chin.

Yes, I have seen this before in a book and it made me gag. I almost put the book down because I already understood the mood of the character and the body language he had on his face. TOO MUCH! I do not always need the scene written after he said something.

 This is also MY biggest worry. Not to feed too much so that the reader is disturbed or even worse, wants to gag! I also do not want the reader to skip lines because they appear to be just "fillers" for the scene. UGH, another bad word but for a different time.

So, if you ever hear me say "I am rewriting chapters" this really means I am working the flow. Hhhmm, maybe I should start saying what I mean. This could help. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment