Monday, November 15, 2010

Tweet your Friday Followers.


  I started something new last week on Twitter and found it an interesting event.  I actually participated in the #FF or “Friday Follows” by listing out everyone following me.  I have been watching many others do this and in fact, may participate in the #WW or “Writer Wednesdays”.  How did I do this you may be asking?  How do I grab everyone following and send out a massive tweet or series of tweets?

   Well, there is no magical way except patience and the use of copy/paste.  I copied the names into a document and created a line similar to below.  Yep!  It took me a while to structure this but I figured out a scheme and once I hit a rhythm it became pretty easy.  I created a document called Twitter Followers and placed it in my marketing directory since to me Twitter is nothing but marketing.  Here is an example of a few lines and yes these are real people following me and I, in turn, am following them.

Writers to #FF: @Sandra_Gulland @EmperorFranzen @JRobinsonAuthor @LornaSuzuki @ninatypewriter @jamesrollins

  I have also created a line for those that are not writers and are friends with their own business or followers who also tweet good information.  To me this key, I really use Twitter as a pot to grab great ideas, new techniques or tricks and information about the writing world so if your info is what I need I will follow you. 

#FF: @STLconciergeGuy @gregeales @RossPR @Tekwani

  Remember you may only have 140 characters (this includes spaces) so you will need to adjust each line accordingly. I would create the line, copy it into a “Tweet feed” and it would tell you if it falls within the Twitter magic number.  This led to having 15 individual groupings to copy/past into Twitter and will make future tweets easy to handle. 

  Why would I do this???  Good question since it took a lot of work and I have few followers compared to most tweeters.  The answer lies within the numbers! When I sent this out my follower list contained 180 names BUT after it contains 197.  I gained 17 more people following by a simple process.  It may seem like a small victory but if I do this twice a week and average 15 – 20 people each time this is an additional 40 people a week.  Average this through the entire year you are talking roughly an additional 2100 people I would never have had prior to putting together this list.

  One thing….do not forgot the new people who came along after you send your initial sweep.  Each time a person follows me I get an email and I do not delete this email until this person is added to my twitter follower list.  I want to make sure I miss no one because this could lead to a domino affect of losing followers.  

  Now the key to this success is how many will eventually buy my series and become a fan? :) 

  Still working this statistic!  Happy Writing!

1 comments:

Bruce said...

Thanks for the shout out. I appreciate you do this very much.

Post a Comment