Thursday, November 18, 2010

How would you like to be addressed?

  I am gathering what I call the magic 50.  This magic 50 ties into the last post I made about querying 50 agents by Thanksgiving.  I am carefully perusing the agent listings out at P&E, 1000literary Agents and Publishers Marketplace to pick the chosen ones. There are many other sites carrying agent lists but found these three are pretty reliable and I am familiar with them.  So back to my point.....I came across an agent who is accepting queries and important enough, email queries that has the following information within their website and it confuses me a little.

"We also do not respond to emails that are not addressed to us personally (i.e.: we will NOT respond to: "Dear Agent", "Dear Editor", "Dear ***** Agency" or "Hi" etc.)"

  I understand this point of view BBBUUUTTT the different agent profiles are not listed anywhere giving me no names nor who accepts what genre.  If I sent it snail mail, which is another option, they request the same respect so either way I have no idea who I am sending it to in order to fulfill their request. :)  I take this as a sign stating they are not part of the chosen few.

  It is also amazing that I still come across many agents who do not accept email queries.  For me, as a technical person, they are immediately removed from my list.  Why kill a tree for someone to say no and throw it in the trash, ending the cycle in a dumpster.  In today's age, everyone should participate in the electronic phenomenon we call email.

Well wish me luck and once I said out my first batch of 25 you will be certain I will post my query letter along with many other things on my mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment