Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When the Crazy gets me to pause and sigh.


  So here I am well into my third novel with my writing in full energy and this ecstatic pulse on each keystroke pumping into the story when I come across a conversation an agent is having with a writer.  The agent states she is often turned off by writers who carry a series with them and have several books already written.  I found this as an odd statement.  She goes on to say the publisher often will have some rewrites with this first novel which could change the outcome and change the fabric around novel two.  There is no reason to write your novels until the first one is picked up.

  What?!?!?

Quick series background:
·        There will be 8 novels.
·        They are outlined and are consistent with the next novel in line.  
·        There is a full story board on the characters.  
·        I have created a 3,000 yr lineage on each clan involved (10 total).
·        There is a full back story on how the 5 islands (this is my fantasy play land) was created.
·        This series is a smaller series within the larger story (Oh the endless drama).
·        I also have 4 other series spawning from this initial series.

  I know there is a lot, but I am a fantasy writer and not just a fantasy writer, a fantasy geek.  I love full series novels containing history, side stories/novels and a complete breakdown of the story environment.  It makes for an exciting read and I cannot wait to see how it will grow.

  So back to my story… All of the above is in my head, in my journals, on paper and in notes (organized actually so not scattered brain).  Even if parts of book one must change or must be removed, I am fine with it and as a writer I can easily adjust to the request.  I would think being this far ahead will give us an advantage and allow us to turn over the next novel faster.  Maybe I am wrong.

  Does this mean my luck with finding an agent is almost zero?  

  Do I continue my current course with finding an agent / traditional publisher or the one I set sail on many years ago and take care of it all on my own? 

  I have been at this crossroad for a while and the questions continue to rise.  I jumped into this for fun but found people enjoyed my story and so I went with it.  But I cannot stop writing.  Sorry, this is just like asking you not to walk until someone comes along and says I approve your first 20 steps so go ahead and step them now plus 5 more for good measure.

  Oh the drama of writing.  I love it.  I really do. 

  Where else do you get a bunch of critics and naysayers all wanting to be your friend until your novel tanks?
  
  Happy Writing!  :) 

1 comments:

Michele Shaw said...

I have found there is absolutely is no "right" way. Write what you want, how you want, in the order you want. Don't try to fit a mold, just keep going until the right agent fits you!

Post a Comment