Thursday, December 16, 2010

Run Forrest Run!


   I found my writing doing something it had not done in a long time.  I was chasing it AND it was running; really fast!  It has been awhile since the last time I caught myself chasing after this story but sure enough there I was forcing it.  As a writer, the story should always flow from your mind to your fingertips and float onto the paper.  This is easy to do with your first piece of work since there really are no expectations and the freedom to write is all yours.  The chase begins, often not, when you get a fan base or following and the demand to have a sequel to the last masterpiece is sitting next to you screaming - 

“ARE YOU DONE YET?”

  I am in the midst of my 3rd masterpiece and now with my readership having the true taste of my series they are wanting more and NOW.  They have dropped down their hard earned money for 2 pieces and are willing to depart with more if I can provide the goods.  Oh yeah, this monkey is jumping and screaming (plus throwing some pooh). 

  I must stop!  

  For the grace of the story and respect of my characters, I must stop the chase and allow it to come when it is ready.  I do not speak of writer’s block.  No, writer’s block is not having anything next in thought.  The chase is where I have the story, outline and the feel of where it is going but chasing the story to be written.  I cannot rush to get it finished and have it available for sale, what a rip off!  I know as a reader I am willing to wait for the next in line if it means the story continues to be inviting and adventurous to my imagination. 

  So I have put it down for the week and shall pick it up a week from today.  This gives me enough time to shake the chase away and smile when I begin plucking at the keys.  

  Happy Writing and remember this is not a race.  

  Unless your book is about racing, in this case type faster. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment