Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fumbling through my writing repertoire

I found through these many years, in writing, you must as a writer build your skills with not just one writing skill but amass many. One of these skills, especially in the fantasy / sci-fi realm, is writing for a gaming company. About a year ago I ventured into this possibility or I should say “stumbled into it” (I am friends with the owners) with both feet.

Let me tell ya, it is a different beast even though it is based on imagination. The writing format and expectations differ from writing a novel. The outcome is sadly enough 100% visual so your creative genius (yes I laugh as I write that word) is shown, not read. Does this mean I really wrote something? Is it really mine? Or does it belong to the programmer and artist whose work is really the one being shown on the screen? All I really did was provide some words and "non-fancy" ones at that!

The answer is yes it is theirs. I may have had a part in it but really the hard part is making it all work on the screen. I may have written the sequence of events but they make it work.

Oh, I also learned as a writer I went a little overboard on what they really needed and killed some of my own writing time. BUT hey, I now have a short story about a modern day Somali Pirate and how he became one. Maybe I should turn it in to a short story contest?????????? Probably not, since I am not into the contest thing.....not ripping it but just not into it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment